"San Diego" car 1078 pauses on Jones Street in preparation for the trip back from Fisherman's Wharf. This PCC car was built in 1946 for the Twin City Rapid Transit Co., of Minneapolis-St. Paul; after a few years there, it started its second career on the Newark (New Jersey) city subway beginning in 1954. After that line converted to newfangled light rail vehicles, this and several others were purchased by Muni. This car was refurbished by Brookville Equipment Co., and placed into service in January 2012.
Muni operates a huge fleet of historic equipment, including 30 PCCs. Each is painted in a color scheme honoring a transit system that had operated PCCs.